Your official Georgia criminal history record contains information about every incident for which you have been arrested, fingerprinted, and charged with a felony offense or certain misdemeanors (those designated as “fingerprintable offenses” by the Attorney General of Georgia). Your Georgia criminal history record will include data on your identification (name, birth date, social security number, sex, race, height, weight, etc.) and arrest (arresting agency, date of arrest, charges, etc.). Your record may also include the outcome/final disposition and custodial information if you were incarcerated in a Georgia correctional facility, but only if this information was reported to the Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) by the law enforcement or criminal justice agency maintaining the information. Even if charges against you were dismissed and you did not serve any time in jail, you can still have a criminal record.


How to Obtain a Copy of Your Georgia Criminal History Record

In Georgia, your official criminal history information is kept and distributed by the GCIC. You can obtain a copy of your record from most local law enforcement agencies for a fee. It is important to note that some private companies provide unofficial background checks, but the information these companies have on file may differ from the information contained in your official criminal history report. To obtain a copy of your criminal history record from another state, contact that state’s criminal justice agency for requirements and fees.


How to Correct Inaccurate Information on Your Georgia Criminal History Record

If you find inaccurate information on your official criminal history record (a difference between the charges listed in your record and the charges listed on the police report, incorrectly listed outcome/final disposition of the case, etc.), it is up to you to report the errors to the arresting agency in order to correct your GCIC criminal history record. To do this you must obtain documentation to support your claim (police report from the arresting agency, a copy of the final disposition from the office of the clerk of court, etc.). Submit these documents, an official copy of your criminal history record (with the incorrect information marked), and a written request to the clerk of court to correct your record. Keep a dated copy of this request for your records. The agency or clerk then has sixty (60) days to investigate and make the correction on your record, if deemed correct.



For information, advice, and assistance after an arrest contact our company with any questions you may have and for all of your bail bonds needs.